Recipe: Alentejo Black Pork Cheeks with Sweet Potato and Chestnuts
Along with Winter comes the colder weather and the urge to indulge in more consistent dishes that warm us up inside.
Take our Executive Chef's suggestion and enjoy a recipe made with some of the best POrtuguese ingredients such as sweet potato, chestnuts and the famous black Alentejo pork.
- Ingredients for 4 :
Black pork cheeks - 1kg
Garlic clove - 2
Red wine from Alentejo (Herdade dos Grous) - 1lt
Meat broth - 3lt
Bay leaf - 3
Thyme - 30gr
Thick sea salt - 500gr
Paprika - q.b.
Salt / Pepper - q.b.
Sweet potato - 700gr
Skinless chestnut- 150gr
Baby carrots - 100gr
- Clean the skin, any impurities and fat off the pork cheeks. Make a brine with 13g of salt per kg for 45 minutes.
- Wash and dry the cheeks; Brown both sides in a frying pan and remove. Braise the onion, the garlic and the paprika in the same frying pan where you browned the cheeks and add some Red Herdade dos Grous wine. Put all in a pan with the meat broth and stew for 1:30h until they’re soft and juicy.
- Put the washed and dried sweet potatoes over thick sea salt in a tray for 45 minutes in the oven. Peel them and grind them (in the Bimby) and season with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Peel the onions and the garlics and chop them into small cubes.
- Peel the carrots and fry them. Roast and peel the chestnuts.
- Plate the cheeks along with the sweet mash potato, the carrots and the roasted chestnuts.