Portuguese Easter Cake - a mouth-watering tradition
VILA VITA’s Executive Chefs Manfred Kickmaier and Paulo Fortes, together with Executive Pastry Chef Pedro Matos, are sharing their recipes for a traditional Portuguese Easter: the typical Folar da Páscoa.
Try it and taste the authentic flavours of Adega restaurant at home.
- Yeast dough
- 1 kg flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 dl lukewarm waterb
- 100 g baking yeast
- 150 g margarine
- 200 g sugar
- 15 g salt
- 1 lemon rind
- 1 glass of port wine and bagasse
- Cinnamon (in powder)
- Boiled egg (with onion skins to give colour)
- Mix the four, eggs and water into a dough.
- Melt the margarine, sugar and liquids.
- Add the yeast and kneed it.
- Leave the dough rise until it is almost twice its volume.
- When fermented, divide in 300g sheets, roll one at a time around each other. Place the boiled egg in the middle, tightening it into the dough until it touches the bottom of the dish.
- Decorate the area around the egg with dough, leave rise, brush with egg and cook in the oven at 180Cº.